On April 12, 1901, the new municipal electric light plant located between 6th and 7th streets along Santa Fe was put into operation for the first time to do actual work. The 52 arc lights installed about town for street lighting were the first electric loads for the new plant. In the beginning, the streetlights were burned according to the “Philadelphia Moonlight Schedule” meaning that they were only used on particularly dark, moonless, or cloudy nights. Some of the first businesses connected to the new electric system were Upham’s, Whitney Lumber, A.R. McKenna, and the Tremont Hotel.