Coffeyville’s stormwater utility was implemented in 2007 as a result of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Stormwater Phase Two Rule. The regulations dictated by the EPA are in place to improve the quality of water in our streams, lakes and rivers.

About Stormwater

Stormwater is primarily water that comes from rain, snow and ice that flows across the ground and pavement. Stormwater seeps into the ground or drains into storm sewers - the drains you see at street corners or at low points on the sides of the street.

Stormwater video

Storm Sewer Map

Stormwater Complaint

The storm drains in the street outside your home flow directly to waterways, without any treatment. It is therefore very important that no one be allowed to dump waste of any kind onto the street surface, drainage pipes, and ditches, or into storm drains – they are only for rainwater. If you see someone dumping anything onto street surfaces, into storm drains, or into any other device built to contain rainfall or runoff, please report it immediately by calling the Stormwater Department at 620-252-6019 or by completing the form in the link below. (If there is no answer at the number listed above, leave a message) 

Legal discharges include: Individual residential car washing, foundation drains, air conditions condensation, lawn watering, firefighting activities, not-for-profit car wash, sump pump drains.  

Erosion and Sediment Complaints: Observed excessive erosion and sedimentation from active construction sites. 

Illicit Drainage Complaints: Observed illegal dumping into the stormwater system and/ or streams. Anything entering the stormwater system that is not stormwater is considered an illicit discharge. 

Link to Stormwater Complaint Form

Stormwater Management Plan

The purpose of the SWMP Document is to describe the City’s Stormwater Management Program. The document addresses each of the program’s six minimum control measures as well as the Goals/BMPs which will be implemented in order to lessen the discharge of TMDL regulated parameters addressed in the City’s permit.

Link to SWMP Plan

Link to Stormwater Permit

Disposal of Hazardous Waste

There is a Household Chemical and Waste Division that serves Montgomery County residents the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 114 N Wald in Independence, KS 67337. They take unwanted paint, chemicals, cleaners, fuels, pesticides and hazardous waste. Call 620-331-4139 for more information.

Children's Activity Books

Grades K-3 (PDF)

Grades 4-6 (PDF)

Informational Flyers

Pollution Solutions (PDF)

Food Service Facility (PDF)

Fundraising Car Wash (PDF)

Vehicle Service Facility (PDF)

Pollution Prevention (PDF)

Raking Leaves (PDF)

Utilizing Rainwater and Gravity: A Guide to Rain Gardens (link)