Pollutants Found In Homes
- The number 1 surface water quality problem nationwide involves fluids from vehicles such as oil, gas and antifreeze.
- Hosing off pavement surfaces wash pollutants into storm drains which lead straight to our rivers. When possible, sweep up the driveway instead.
- Locate a hazardous waste drop off facility for old paint, pesticides, solvents and batters. Street litter such as polystyrene foam, plastic and paper blows into our inlets.
- Keep trash bins covered and do not litter.
- Pet waste left on the ground gets carried away by storm water, contributing harmful bacteria, parasites and viruses to our river. Clean up after your pet.